Tonight we got all the wing blocks installed and the wing
bolts drilled and set. This was after much work and the plane was
kicking our butts. First we glued the bolt blocks to the fuse,
then glued the needed filler blocks into the wing. Then we once again
triangulated the wing to fuse seat. We then measured and drilled 3/32
pilot holes thru the wing into the fuse mounted bolt block. We were
not happy with the results. The holes were not in the center of the
blocks as desired.
So we stepped back and re-grouped. Our decision was to use the already
drilled holes for added dowel alignments to be added next week. From
experience we know wing bolt holes are not always easy to find and figured
the added dowel alignment pins would make assembly easier at the field.
But for tonight they are our jig/fixturing holes.
We removed the wing and marked the wing bolts dead-center where we wanted
them. Next we drilled the new holes and installed 1/4-20 blind nuts.
Next we re-installed the wing using the 3/32 existing holes as alignment
holes using drill bits as alignment pins. Check the wing
measurements once again and was perfect. We then took a plastic bolt
and with the aid of a sanding belt put a point on the bolt. Thru the
top of the fuse we installed the new plastic centering aid thru the back
side of the blind nut to mark the wing. Removed the wing and
the holes using the center marks we just made. Again the wing goes
back on using the 3/32 drill bits as alignment aids and install wing bolts.
They go in perfect. Check all measurements one last time and
So we take pictures and call it a night, only 4 hours latter
(12 man-hours). By the way, in the pictures you will see the wing
plastic. It will not fly with these, they were just handy for tonight.
The finished plane will use aluminum wing bolts.
-- Gary Himes